why does my 2000 gmc jimmy not shift in drive only gears 2 and 3

Asked by Nov 29, 2014 at 12:55 PM about the 2000 GMC Jimmy 4 Dr SLE 4WD SUV

I put my car in drive and it won't move.   I start it in 2nd and when the rpms at 2 I shift into 3rd and it is okay   but I can't use my drive gear.  Filled with fluid because it was down and I only still have 2nd and 3rd gears   not drive.   it whines in drive  Can you tell me what it could possibly be and will it be more expensive than the car is worth

Check this article on valve modulators. http://www.ehow.com/facts_6948943_transmission-vacuum-modulator-valve_.html

ok they say it is the transmission vacuum modulator valve that connects to the intake. Where is this located on my truck and does it take alot of maintainece or is it located somewhere simple.

Are you going to answer me I was told that 2000 gmc jimmy do not have a modulator. They told me it electrically shift on the transmission. Is that true if so what else could be wrong with it. thank you

You didn't list the size of the engine because V8's and V6's usually have different transmissions. I did a quick check on 2000 GMC's and didn't see any modulators listed as parts. If the vehicle doesn't have a modulator, the problem is most likely in the valve body. The valve body had channels, holes, springs, pistons, check balls, all to direct transmission fluid to enable the transmission to shift.

I found the modulator/governor for V6 and V8. Still have to know the engine to find the transmission. Last time I looked, the modulator on a GM transmission was fairly easy to get to on the side of the transmisson although I don't quite remember the model of that trans.