WHy does my Jimmy shut down and not restart?

25

Asked by May 09, 2008 at 07:58 PM about the 1998 GMC Jimmy 4 Dr SLS Sport 4WD SUV

My Jimmy shuts down and does not restart. The gages dont move and I can hear the fuel pump trigger. Also my battery is good.

2,040

dude ..need more info...when it finally does start,how long???when does it shut down....more info or no help!!!!!

40,965

Just saw one like this a few months ago where it would idle or run for up to an hour or more before it would shut off. It was the ignition module. Try that first.

55

MINE IS NOT THAT BAD. YET. IT COULD BE A FEW THINGS I WOULD START WITH THE IGNITION CONTROL MODULE, THEN MANIFOLD ABSOLUTE PRESSURE (MAP) SENSOR. OR EVEN YOR MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR WILL MESS WITH THE VACCUM, WHICH THROWS OFF YOUR VEHICLE CONTROL MODULE.MORE THEN LIKELY ITS OUR I.C.M. I'LL LET YOU KNOW HOW MINE WORKS LATER THIS EVENING!

625

no one here has made much sence about any thing so far exept for mr. kitty picture we do need more info like when it does die does it just clunk and its out or does it studder???? is it after its up to opperating tempature? is it overheating ??? we would need more info

45

If it's not your battery then it could be your alternator. to be sure, disconnect the negative cable from the battery while the engine is running, if it dies then it's your alternator.

25

thats the worst thing that you could do to a newer jimmy you can fry the computer by doing that.

115

i had the same problem with my 97 jimmy. it turned out to be igntion swich. 30 doller part costed me 500 bucks point less repairs

15

i am sort of having the same problem. it worked fine the night before. morning after. it would not start. then when it did. is sputtered and died. could not restart it. towed it from an hours away. got it home. started fine. still sputters, have not used it since. going in tomorrow for a fuel pump and fuel tank with new fuel filter. hope that does the trick.