Automatic transmission needle on 1987 Dodge Dakota V6

Asked by Jul 15, 2013 at 03:59 PM about the 1987 Dodge Dakota STD Standard Cab 4WD SB

1987 Dodge Dakota V6 Auto. Shifting indicator needle points to the wrong place, Ex: When in Park the needle points to the "R". When in Reverse the needle points to the "N", When in Neutral the needle points to the "D". When in Drive the needle points at the "2". What caused this, not my vehicle.

65

I had a somewhat similar problem a way back. Check the linkage directly under the driver's side floor board. There is a small bar that transitions the shifter to the transmission the outside end attaches thru a plastic gromet. If this is warn (and it will be if it's original) the shift lever and transmission linkage could be off. If the gromet is really bad the linkage can disconnect; that's what happened to me and nomatter where you put the shift lever the transmission will not move. That gromet is not expensive but you may have to order it from a dealer. Best of luck and let me know if this is the problem.

3,925

it could also be the little wire that moves the indicator on the column. take the lower dash off and the column cover and you should be able to see it from the bottom.