Why is my 88 Firebird stalling?

20

Asked by Jul 01, 2013 at 08:10 PM about the 1988 Pontiac Firebird STD

I was driving on the freeway my oil gauge was fluctuating and i heard a pop and a cloud
of white smoke blew out the rear. Then my car began to jerk and make noise around
the clutch. I pulled over and found nothing blown or leaking everything was ok, it starts
up easy, shifts fine and the oil gauge was normal. I got back on the freeway and when i
reached 60-70 mph it jerked and stalled. I drove today to replicate the noise just to pin
point where it's coming from it was fine on the freeway. I got into the streets and my
temperature reached the middle and in third gear my car stalled.

185

What engine do you have? Mine 87 with 5.0 carb, had problem with carb and fuel pumps. Both pumps were almoust dead and my carb was full with s**t. Cleaned it, repaired pumps and it runs good now. Although I didn't have any problems with oil gauge..

20

I have the 2.8 Multi Port Fuel Injection i'm noticing now that after it runs and heats up it would stall even around 3 gear. It won't start up right away and I would have to let it cool for awhile before it does.

20

I learned that my problem was heat related because when ever my car warmed up it would shut off in any gear. Eventually it wouldn't start up at all. Thanks to a couple online sources it made it easier for me to figure out what was happening to my car and I found out I had a bad Ignition Module. All you really need to figure this out is a Chilton DIY handbook, a test light, and a multimeter that checks for resistance. http://www.badasscars.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id =289/prd289.htm http://www.carsdirect.com/car-repair/how-to-tell-if-you-have-a-faulty- ignition-coil