I get white smoke coming from exhaust at high speeds only, 175K miles

cafedelmar
10

Asked by Jan 26, 2011 at 05:24 PM about the 1993 Geo Metro 2 Dr LSi Convertible

I have a 1993 geo metro 1.0, I get white smoke coming from exhaust at high speeds only, if I drop back to 55mph it stops, but crank it up to 65 on a long haul and it starts again.  Compression check ok, no leaks, driving around town no problem, lots of pep, ????

butch686
495

white smoke usually means your burning water/antifreeze. at that rpm it would be the fastest sirculation of radiator fluid. could be a small leak in the head gasket or the head it self or cylinder wall has a minute crack.

cafedelmar
10

Butch686, Thanks for your reply. I have had 2 diff. shops here in San Diego check for leaks in head gasket and found none. After driving over 600 miles the past month there has been Zero anti freeze lost. I saw some posts on the oil looking different like soapy or something and it looks fine. It only smokes on long hauls with going 65 mph and over. On a half hour run at 60-65 down the 805 no smoke.........Thank you....Cafedelmar

prw431
145

The white smoke you are experiencing is on of 2 things .... someone at one time replaced the head gasket with a cheaper brand of gasker the cheaper non OEM have smaller oil return holes this at higherspeeds when your oil pump is pumping high volumes of oil causes the oil to back up in to the pcv valve orfice and forces it into the throttle body.One way to check that for sure is pull the complete air filter assy.and see if there is oil on top of the throttle body..now a bad pcv valve can cause the same symptom

Randy Bugni
0

prw431 is correct happened to me you may need to enlarge the oil return passages on the head gasket.