Cranks, but no start

Asked by Jan 27, 2015 at 11:02 PM about the 1994 Geo Tracker 2 Dr LSi 4WD Convertible

I have a 94 Tracker LSI with a 1.6L 16 V MFI engine, and it will not start. It cranks fine,
it just doesn't start. I've narrowed down a few things, so I have no idea where to go from
here.

It started with new spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor, that was the first time it
wouldn't start. I have confirmed that there is a spark to the plugs, and I have tested the
fuel system and it is working fine throughout. Injectors, pressure, regulator, pump, and
filter are not the reason.

Compression is good as well, it started up fine 2 days ago, later that day it wouldn't
start at all. My starter is new, battery good. Does anyone know what else it could be?

10

If it ran after your tune up: Remove the Dist Cap and check it. They don't always fit over the base and seat properly. The rotor will eventually wear into the cap or break if you missed when you installed the cap. It happens. If it never ran after the tune up: Double check the new plug wires are going to the correct plug (firing order). Double check ALL the plugs are gapped to the correct distance. I have dropped one before and installed it only to have trouble because the gap closed when I dropped the plug.

The cap is fine and the spark plugs are gapped properly. The rotor is fine too. But thank you for the help!

10

Ok Never hurts to double check. You said you checked the fuel system. But try this. Spray some Starting Fluid under the air filter. Crank the engine. If the engine starts it is fuel related (weak pump?). if not......You say you are getting spark (so any other wires leading to Dist are hooked up)....I would only be guessing but I would start having other parts tested. Test the coil (may be weak on the primary side) or computer...Sorry I can't help any more.Good Luck.

75

make sure the distributor is positioned, rotated in the correct position... it may throw off the timing if not properly seated