How to figure out what's wrong with the transmission? (Including location of the transmission vacuum hose)

Asked by Feb 08, 2015 at 12:11 AM about the 1985 Chevrolet El Camino SS

I got a 1985 automatic. 3 speed. I've been
having problems with getting out of first
gear, being not even attempting to go into
second, and I've check the fluid, and no
results. I've been told to look for the
vacuum hose and replace it/them. First
timer but giving it my best.

70

I believe its on the passenger side on that one but it will be on one of the sides about halfway on the transmission just above the rim of the oil pan. If the vacuum line was off it may cause it to shift to quickly but I don't believe it will cause it to stay in gear. I'd check the shifter linkage to be sure its in the right gear The solenoid may be stuck as well causing it to stay in gear but you may be able to manually shift it through the gears. Dies it go into reverse and park ok? Tey starting with it in first then going to second then drive and see if it'll shift.

Won't work with the manual gears as well, I've attempted first and second manually, stays in first. But it does go into neutral and reverse.

70

May be time to swap it out but you could try new fluid and filter first. Im not sure on a 3 speed but I did have a torque converter lock up in a 4 speed and stay in overdrive.