Chevette hard starting

Asked by Jan 14, 2014 at 09:53 AM about the 1984 Chevrolet Chevette 2 Dr Base

Just bought a 84 chevette with the 1.6. Evan on the coldest winter days the car will start right up, but for example if I parked the car at the store for 20 min and come back out it takes at least 5 min for the car to finally start, ether does nothing  to help, telling me it is not a fuel issue. My thoughts are that a component is getting heat soaked? looking for help on any suggestions, hoping that this may be a common issue.

Paul Sutera

Had the same problem with a '78. Wound up being something with the carburetor but for years, would be stuck unless I waited 5 minutes.

John Duncan

The owners manual says to apply 1/2 throttle when starting hot. I generally give mine 3 slow pumps then half throttle. Works every time. Remember this is carboration no

John Duncan

Not fuel injection. And mechanical fuel pump.