Unable to start chevette

Asked by May 03, 2014 at 09:59 AM about the 1984 Chevrolet Chevette 2 Dr Base

My Chevette died as I was about to leave for work.  I checked the wires and carburetor,
finally seeing that the distributor cap had come loose. I re-seated the cap, but it still won't
start.  There is fuel getting to the carburetor, checked it using the screwdriver.  I can get a
crank, but it won't fire.  What else should I check?

31,295

It's time for a new distributor cap.

So, I replaced the cap, but I still can't get it to start. Igt cranks but won't turn over. Any other suggestions?

31,295

Are you getting spark? When you changed the cap did you replace the rotor?

No, didn't replace the rotor...back to the parts house. Will respond as soon as I change it out.

31,295

Ok but I'm on the other side of the world and it's bed time now. Put the rotor in and let me know. Also check for spark. If it's getting gas and spark it should start. If not with the cap off, check and make sure the distributor is rotating.

Still nothing. Just about ready to take to a shop.