my 88 rx7 over heated and now it is blowing steam and smoke out the tail pipes new water pump and thermastat need answers

Asked by Dec 15, 2014 at 09:22 PM about the 1988 Mazda RX-7 Base

95,075

Not good, rotaries hate heat, it doesn't take much to blow an o-ring between the rotor housing and side housings, I'm afraid your looking a some major engine repairs, might be best if you replaced the engine. I use to race these little guys way back when and only overheated one engine and it warped the rotor housings that they could not be saved even though it only ran long enough for me to make off the track, about 30 seconds.

It still runs good took it to 130 mph and ran fine no steam or smoke still looking for answers???

95,075

That way the rotaries are, once the damage is done if they start they will run until it gets so bad that they won't start, just remember the longer you run it the worse it is going to get and you could damage your catalyst's and the O2 sensors, they don't like coolant.

95,075

Make sure it is steam not oil smoke, on a rotary oil smoke will be an off white in color and have soil smell to it.

My brother in law said he smelled coolant out of it still looking

845

Time for a rebuild, please do not drive anymore. It will only get worse, and more expensive.