Upgrading a 13b rotory engine

Asked by Jan 10, 2017 at 10:58 PM about the 1987 Mazda RX-7 Base

I am picking up a 1987 rx7 non turbo 5 speed, and would like to
know any insider tips of quick and easy upgrades, or upgrades I
should do first, besides turbo kit, that will be my first upgrade.
And second with be polyeurathane bushings all around, so if you
know and general upgrades and maintenance that would be good
to start with is really appreciate the help. I don't know everything
about rotory engines but been doing some serious research . ty

100,425

Get the limited slip rear differential, this really helps keeping it on track in those high rpm power shifts, and you will want to do them once you get this up to snuff, and of course some very good shocks and progressive springs, I went with stage 2 clutch, it held up fairly well in my rotary racing days, engine wise, boost the oil injector pump so it adds a little more oil to the rotors, this will help it last longer but you have to watch the oil level as it does get its supply from the oil pan, you will have to experiment but changing the advance curve in the distributor can help with the low end pulling power, these engines need all the help they can get on the low end, as you are going to turbo it I won't bother you with needle porting cause you will be flowing way more air than that can deliver. If your keeping the stock wheels then put the widest tires you can get on them, this really helps it in the turns especially under power. The weak part of this vehicle is the cooling system, water pumps keep failing, radiators must be kept at peak efficiency, I added another fan out in front as a pusher fan and turned it on when making runs, something you might think of doing, you can't go very big but it helps. The exhaust system is junk, if your going to turbo it then you might consider a freed up system so the engine can really breathe? Now once you turbo this you will have to watch the RPM's cause it will be real easy to over rev it, I never ran mine much over 10000 RPM's, you can feel them starting to pull at 4000, with the turbo you should feel it sooner, and they really start performing between 6 and 8000 RPM's once you get it setup. HTH

76,815

Good answer tennis.