Starting problem after t has been running

Asked by Feb 08, 2017 at 12:54 AM about the 1989 Volkswagen Vanagon GL Camper Passenger Van

Sometimes my 1989 VW vanagon obstinately refuses to start after I have filled the gas tank. I have to wait 5-10 minutes and try again 2-3 times fore its starts.  Meantime, waiting customers are not happy with me!

Or it will stall at a traffic light and refuse to start! No fun...

What is the problem please?

27,165

Too many variables to consider to just throw out a guess. Your problem does seem related to fuel delivery or throttle. (filling the gas tank and then having this problem could also mean a problem with the earyl VW EVAP system). All I can suggest is to check all vacuum hoses under the hood, clean the throttle body and all sensors, a tune-up wouldn't hurt. The EVAP system has a pressure governor and solenoids that can go bad, all that needs to be checked.