I have a 1981 VW Vanagon (stock air cooled) that has been running GREAT but all of a sudden the vehicle just died at 55 mph. It seemed like a fuel pump possibly?

Asked by Feb 14, 2015 at 12:35 PM about the 1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Base Passenger Van

I haven't worked on VW in the last 30
years, I don't want to remove and
replace stuff (parts store is a 12 mile
walk to get there.

69,325

Start with the basics. Check for spark and fuel. If both are present run a compression test. If all cylinders test low it's jumped timing. HTH. -Jim

Thank you so much for great advice. Guys like me, love the vanagons but not many people know much about them. It is so helpful to get quality advice being on the road! Dave Heckendorn - Expedition Photography

69,325

You're welcome. Glad to help. Thank you for the kind words. -Jim

4,795

Vanagon dot com and WetWesties have great forums for tech help with these vehicles. If you haven't obtained a Bentley manual yet, get one...it will save you time, money and hair. Keep posting here, too...many folks are listening and will try to help.