why does my exhaust sound like popcorn? is it really dangerous for my engine?

5

Asked by Jun 15, 2015 at 09:57 AM about the 1988 Chevrolet Caprice Base

When i start my car 4 barrel 305, chokes on, idles fine. wait a bit, kick the throttle high idle then low idle. when on low idle my car makes a popcorn like sound comming from the exhaust. i made a video about the problem, i also suspect cyl 8 valves to be knocking. can i still drive the car without damageing it ? btw it has high compression 150-160 psi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dp6WEpn8eo

67,465

Sounds, like your car is dumping fuel in the exhaust,and yes it can damage the engine,go have the fuel system checked.

Best Answer
5

so il be getting my carb rebuilt... fuel lines are new, filter is new , tank is old but not leaking. i know the cost to rebuild will be worth the fuel il save. thanks :)