How can I stop rodents from crawling into the cabin filter?

170

Asked by Jul 28, 2013 at 09:24 AM about the 2013 Toyota Camry XLE

NewToyota Camry smells bad when AC is turned on, mechanic says rodent crawled in to
the air intake ?

116,505

Not sure about that one. Maybe put a cat in the garage? Lol

72,435

Mothballs are a good deterrent. Maybe put some in the engine compartment, where they won't damage anything, and the odor from them won't find it's way into the passenger compartment and be equally offensive to you but at the same time keep the critters away. HTH. - Jim

Best Answer Mark helpful
170

Thanks, better than some other unserious answers, new car smell ruined.

72,435

You're welcome. That's ashame! New car smell is the best. Thank you for the best answer click. -Jim

170

Page didn't open thru amazon, I will try to go to their site and thanks

http://www.abesmarket.com/fresh-cabr-botanical-rodent-repellent.html? gclid=CITT2Yiu0rgCFck7MgodoycApQ

170

Thanks so much, will investigate all your suggestions. I live on a bayou in swamp and this is a first for me.

at first I thought a sonic repellent...but could find none in 12 volts...that's when I found "cabin fresh" rodent repellent...by mistake~!?

116,505

Sorry you thought I was not being serious but truthfully I was. Here in the south I have had issues with snakes and rats but about twenty years ago an old man told me to get an out side cat. Guess what for twenty years now I have yet to see either in any off my sheds or old cars. Have four outside cats now that take care of themselves and keep all rodents in their place.

170

Thanks for feedback. My dog won't allow me to have a cat. I live near a swamp and have several vehicles, including an r.v. And have never had this problem in 10 years. The first six months of a new car and I am afraid of what it really might be. Apologise for my rudeness and thanks for taking the time to explain.

think 20 points is in order for "cabin-fresh botanical rodent repellent" stumbled into this and it's sole purpose is to solve the problem you've described...hit a homerun here and think that since they pay us NOTHING for helping you...punching the "best answer" will not alter the chi~

okay then...you gave it away to Mr. mothball fleet up there~ guess you cannot have more than one "best answer" even when it really wasn't~

116,505

Lol

170

Didn't realise this was a contest. I sincerely appreciated all the suggestions and hope I didn't hurt your feelings. I can't tell if you are upset or what. Am I missing something?

no...does not matter...only a matter of reputation...which I've got all I can use...just stumbled across your solution....maybe it works like crap...like "grants kills ants" well a hell no...grants does NOT kill ants...I beg to differ~

170

Are you legitimate

170

Please stop emailing me.

you have to switch your email settings on your profile page~ like, it's not my fault man~~

116,505

Sandyliret, on top right side of this page you will see a button marked "My Account" press it. Then on that page you will see a button marked "Settings". Press it. Once there you can change all your email setting to "No" and "Do Nothing" but don't forget to press "Save email setting" on the bottom left of page. Doing this should stop all the notifications. Drive Safe.

take note: i've reported you comment about legitimacy as "abusive and hurtful"~FYI...start thinkin about bein' nicer to people who are here just to HELP YOU~!

30

Sandyliret: try placing a laundry softener sheet in the cabin filter compartment. Mice do not care for the "human" scent.

20

In Thailand this is a very common problem with Toyotas. Some Thai guy over here sells online a metal plate with small slits for air to go in but keep the critters out. I bought one and have not had anymore problems. I am surprised Toyota does not do something abou this. It is the Asian way I guess. Out of sight out of mind. The part only cost about $5.

Recently my mechanic opened my car hood to find a packrat who he accused of making an obscene gesture, as he stood up on the intake manifold, then darted back into the engine compartment.Here in Arizona packrats are a common problem in vehicles. Every spring my mechanic's shop is filled with work to repair electrics and hoses. One trick that works fairly well is a fluorescent light under the car. (low voltage draw compared to regular shop light). It works! Note to those in states where this may apply... if you have rodents in your engine or passenger compartment, keep an eye out for the rattlesnake who may also be trying to rid your car of it's rodent population.