what should I look for when purchasing this car? It has 150xxx miles and runs

Asked by Apr 30, 2013 at 03:07 AM about the 1989 Volkswagen Fox Base Coupe

Asking price 700. Is that fair?

If it runs and is inspected, $700 sounds fair to me, what is the condition like?

The first thing I do when looking for a pre owned vehicle, whether its from a dealer or private party, is checking the oil dipstick. Looking for signs of water condensation, chocolate milk appearance which would indicate a blown intake manifold gasket or head gasket (depending on the engine type), metal shavings in the oil is always a bad sign, and see all other fluids to get an idea of how well the vehicle was maintained by the prior owners. Gunky buildup in the coolant reservoir, damaged radiators and cracked hoses will tell you that you will need to spend a lot more money on it after you buy it, tag it, get it insured, get it through the state inspections (where necessary) and a full tank of 93 octane gas. Think of buying a brand new car from the dealer and how you would have your car look after 10 years of using it.... That's the car you really want.

It doesn't sound bad for $700. Check all the major components. Ask the seller for the history and any maintenance records and receipts.

Thank you everyone! IM going to take a look at it later this week. I talked to the owner and Seems to me like he took care of the car. He said the internal fuel pump does weird stuff when you get to half a tank. And front brakes might have to be to change the near future but other the car runs great for it's age. If I end up liking the car which I kinda do where could I purchase great parts for it?

I may sound biased, but I personally deal with Advance Auto Parts..... Because I have worked there for quite a few years. Make sure you find a good parts guy at whatever Part Mart you choose, and make sure he knows what is what in the automotive world. We don't just build engines... We build relationships. Mike,

I had one of this car, the rear gear box is very fragile, and it's hard to shift.