92 stealth rt 3.0 dohc problems starting?

5

Asked by Feb 06, 2012 at 03:28 PM about the 1992 Dodge Stealth 2 Dr R/T Hatchback

I just bought this car at a steal I would think anyway.. It ran great when I drove it. It
sat over night and all day. I went outside to start it and it didn't want to start.. I had
to hold the gas pedal for it to start then it idled really bad. so bad the lights were
dimming as it ran. I noticed I could smell the exhaust when I opened the door. A
friend told me that it was probably running rich. I have no check engine light or
anything on. What could be the problem?

1,285

Check all the leads for spark at the plugs. Remove the plugs and check if any are wet. If they are it may indicate that they are not getting any spark so a fault with the leads or distributor.

5

Ok thank you. The guy I bought if from put all new plugs wires and coil pack in prior to me buying it. So I will check in to that for sure!

1,285

If it's all new it might a case of leads getting lose see if you push down on any and feel a click. Anyway check the plugs if you can as they will tell you the state of the igniton. As you mentioned you could smell the exhaust it sounds like there's unburnt fuel going into the fumes. Also check the connections on the coil pack for any cracks.

5

Thanks again for the help! I will try this!

5

I really think this car has a mind all of its own. This morning I started it and it started right up and did not act like it did sunday evening. I let it run for about 15 minutes and when I got ready to leave it died... GRRRRRRR lol... I tried to start it back up and it would not stay running. I work at a ford dealership in the service department and I wanted to get up here for one of my friends to look at... but that didn't happen. Im still learning lol... what would you suggest ?

1,285

So it runs well at start up when egine is cold, and the after it heats up a bit it dies. This sounds like it might be something to do wth the air idle motor and the air mass flow sensor. When the engine is cold it runs rich and will stay idling, but as soon as it warms up the automatic choke is switched off and the engine will idle just using information send from the air mass sensor, throtle position and coolant sensor to dose the fuel and air. I'd have the air mass sensor checked and cleaned, as well check the plugs like mentioned before just to see if it's not developed a misfire.

hi there ı have a question for the stealth rt twin turbo which ı am planing to buy.and here is my question the car runs well and sounds well but the owner told me he had over heat problem twice and had no clue where the car leaks the water... to my experience first ı check the oil as if ı sea any water mix with oil but it was clean and ı have my mechanic to put up the lift if we can see the leek but there we saw nothing and decided to cool it done and give a preasure test wich we havent done yet is there any experince owner have any idea what it might be? please write me so ı will be preciate????