why does my heater blow hot when driving but blow cold when stopped

20

Asked by Dec 08, 2010 at 08:09 PM about the 1992 Dodge Spirit 4 Dr ES Sedan

11,925

i dont know much about these specific cars, but it could be some thing to do with the vacuum diaphrams that actuate the different vents, in my old 96 ram when i would accelerate heat would blow out of the defroster and once i let off the gas come back out the dash vents. but it sounds like when your stopped your atmospheric vent is opening to the out side and pulling cold air into the system

155

Could be a bad Heater Core or the thermostat isn't working correctly.

check the coolent leval in the plastic tank under the hood,sounds like it is low,on the tank you will see 2 marks ,1 full cold,2 full hot.check when cold if low or nothing in it remove cap crank let idle with heat on,let it warm up add antifreeze as needed.replace cap.