Listing form says Not A Valid VIN - when the VIN is correct? 1989 Buick

25

Asked by CarefulOwner Aug 27, 2016 at 01:52 PM about the 1989 Buick Century Limited Sedan FWD

1989 Buick 4dr.  VIN 1G4AL51NOK6443179
I get an error saying that the VIN isn't valid

82,335

Be very careful..... if you have a bad VIN number, it's a red flag....

25

VIN number checks with the VIN Breakdown for an 89 Buick. Florida Title issued in 1995 from the original owner.

93,985

Odd - most online VIN decoders don't accept this VIN, and my repair manual shows an error in the 'platform code' of your VIN (4th and 5th digits). But a GM VIN breakdown shows "AL" for Buick Century Limited. The ones shown at Wikipedia indicate a "WS" or just a "Y" for Buick Century. Snafu somewhere...

25

Thanks the car is listed For Sale now: Here is what I originally copied off the Title and entered: 1G4AL51NOK6443179 Here is the VIN the form accepted: (which shows up on Carfax) 1G4AL51N0K6443179 My Only Guess Is That The 9th Digit Was A Numeric Zero - Not An Alpha O.

190

I had the same problem and nobody could or would help me. However, I figured it out. Again, making me the smartest person in the world. :) Solution: I assume you are copying and pasting the VIN or some facsimile. You probably have hidden characters. Paste the VIN into WordPad. Highlight it and change the font size or add bold, Etc. It doesn't matter. Just change it so that you can eliminate any hidden unwanted characters. Then copy it from WordPad and paste it into the VIN search. Note:You can eliminate the hidden characters in most spell checkers as well. Just run spell check, ignore changes, and finish/save. Problem solved.