Starting Problem, 1989 300SE Mercedes. Car initially starts just fine. If you stop somewhere and then try to start it again it won't. Let it sit and then it will. Doesn't do it everytime either.

15

Asked by Dec 13, 2015 at 07:44 PM about the 1989 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300SE Sedan

255

its the fuel pump, these models got a pump that overheat and shuts off, you gonna need a new upgraded one and an new fuel filter.

15

Thanks but I think it is even more curious than that! Because so long as the gas is between full and 1/2 a tank it does just fine no problems. It is only when it falls below 1/2 that it starts acting up.

255

that's because the gas weight makes it easier on the pump, since the pump is located on the frame, and all the gas pressure is greater when the tank is full.

15

Does my model have one pump or two?

255

I am not sure, I know there is one on the frame, right under the rear driver's side by the frame. and the filter is located in the same place too