Why would I be burning through oil like crazy

Asked by Sep 19, 2014 at 09:20 AM about the 1983 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300D Turbodiesel Sedan

I ran out of diesel the other day and ever since then I have been having to add oil like crazy. Its not leaving a puddle under the car just slings it out while its running looks like from the front belt and fan

2,235

Sounds like you need a new rocker cover gasket. Easy to fit, undo 8 - 12 10mm bolts running round the top cover of engine, lift it off (might need to give it a tap to free it up), you'll now be able to see the camshaft, pretty aren't they lol. Anyway, if you look at the cover you've just removed you'll see a black rubber strip running all the way around it. That's what needs replacing. Cheap as chips to fix and you can save a fortune by doing it yourself. Good luck...