Bought a used Mercedes 89 560 SEL and don't know how to start it. It doesn't crank.

5

Asked by Aug 31, 2014 at 02:10 PM about the 1989 Mercedes-Benz 560-Class 560SEL Sedan

The car was delivered by the seller's nephew and parked in my carport. When I turn the
key it buzzes, but does not crank. When I turn the wheel it comes out of a locked position.
I have tried pushing the key in, turning the key around, turning the wheel and turning the
key. Taking it out of park then putting it back into park. Keeping foot on brake, turning key
with foot off brake. Nothing works.

264,345

First thing is to check the battery. What is the voltage? Has it been is storage? Your might think about replacing the fuel and oil as well if it was.

5

Yes, it's been idle for some time, but was driven to my house. The battery gauge doesn't show any movement, but the doors lock and the seat moves with power. I'll call road service. Thanks

2,495

Is there any kind of fob on the keys? It sounds like there may be an aftermarket immobiliser fitted.