I have a 1992 dodge caravan . I want to how do I check if I need transmission oil. The van is running fine just want to check my

Asked by Dec 11, 2013 at 09:17 PM about the 1992 Dodge Caravan 3 Dr STD Passenger Van

with the engine running (in park) and the parking brake set...pull the transmission stick and look at the color...ought to be cherry red, otherwise it's all used up...should have a nice "machine" smell to it...not burned or black~ might be advisable to go in for transmission maintenance where they'll look at the magnet in your pan...change the transmission oil filter and drain and flush the torque converter too~

oh, yes there are two hash marks on the stick...RUNNING, the level should be at the top mark when HOT and the lower mark when COLD...there is a Knurled zone between them...the level is somewhere in that zone you needn't add any transmission fluid~

Yes , i also think in the same J-j . If you can take out a very little transmission oil to examine that is better