I'm an 18 yr old chick with a Dodge Stealth... need help!

15

Asked by Aug 21, 2010 at 03:32 AM about the 1993 Dodge Stealth 2 Dr ES Hatchback

I have a 93 Dodge Stealth ES DOHC. Ive owned it for little over a year now, and since the day I bought it, it has a ticking noise coming from the motor.  We brought it to a regular shop and they said it was simply an oil lifter. So we changed the oil and put in some additive, but it still "ticks".  The car runs fantastic and doesnt miss a beat, but the engine is constantly ticking, its not a loud knocking like piston slap or anything just a rapid ticking. Does anyone have any ideas as to what this could be?!

10,755

it sounds like a lifter to me, i had the same issue with an old ram i used to own, i used some royal purple 0w30 oil and added marvel mystery oil to it and it cured the issue

8,580

Those cars are known for developing ticking lifters. What brand and weight oil do you run? Other owners say switching to a better oil like Royal Purple or Mobil 1 stopped the ticking. They also sell upgraded lifters with larger oil passages that might be helpful.

35

changing the oil is only a temp fix.the bore on the old lifters is only 1MM. i would change them out with new ones .they have 3MM bore.good place to go is 3Sx.com they have them for $155.its some work but well worth it.