Need some help with Frod Escape wheel bearing

Asked by Oct 02, 2010 at 09:53 PM about the 2003 Ford Escape XLT

Trying to remove drivers side front wheel bearing w/no success. Wrench won't jimmy the bearing loose..anyone have any ideas? Should I get a hydraulic press or other tool? thanks

if it is in the hub take a 10 lb hammer and chisel,knock it out from the side of bearing,if on the spindle you may need to heat it before it comes off.

50

well the bearings if i am correct are in a hub for the front to replace it u gotta get a new hub that comes with bearings and its spendy

465

I don't have an Escape anymore to make sure, but I believe this is correct. You need to replace the HUB assembly which the bearings are inside. You're not supposed to take the HUB apart. If you do you will have to replace it anyhow. Go over to RockAuto.com and look for a bearing assembly from Timken or BCA National. Or compare with the OEM part from a Ford dealer.

1,635

if its awd it is a hub assy u need

45

I bought my bearing from Rock Auto. Taking the hub assembly off was relatively easy, Take the brakes off, take the large 32 mm nut off, take the tie rod nut off, and the shock bolts. Don't forget anything, it will come off pretty easy. I just didn't see how I would get the old bearing out. I thought heat would be the answer, but I didn't have a torch hot enough, so I went to the hardware store and bought a plumbing piece that would fit exactly inside the bearing race and used my 5 lb sledge hammer to beat it out. It took a lot to get it going because of the rust. The first one, about 5 hours, the second one 2 hours, because of the 1 hour to clean mating surfaces of rust. Fun job, I'm ready for another.

165

OTC has a tool set called a HUB SHARK that is used to press this type of wheel bearings out of and new ones back in to the spindles on the truck without doing damage to the spindles. I think harbor freight has a smaller set at a lot better price.

10

Yea I just watched a Video. You only have to replace the bearings. with a tool that has a open cup like on the receiving side and a round plate of steel with a bolt of course a nut is weld in the back of the cup as you tighten it the bearing comes out

160

I would have to enter this, tthe difference between the purchase of the tool to remove the bearing and the actual hub assembly in my opinion its cheaper to find a hub assembly and switch them out. My experience with this is sometimes you have to heat the assembly to press or pull the bearing out. If you dont have the correct tool you take the chance of messing the ne bearing up, so I guess the question would be are you mechanically inclined to do this??

10

Ok 2007 Ford escape front wheel bearing's First google that. Here is my question there is two sets of bearings that came out like ball bearings one that sat on the outside of the race and one on the inside of the race. The ones I purchased has one bearing in it and its not ball bearings. The only way to get the new part on is to knock out the race place the bearing in and then place the hub assembley. Is this correct for replacing the bearings and does it eliminate the other set on the outside?

there is a snap ring holding the berring into place.. get snap ring pliers and remove this ring.. u still should use a press to get the berring out.. u can use a hammer but u will prob mess up your new berring putting it in... if u have no other option put a rag around it n softley hammer new1 in