Instructions how to change my alternator

Christine Nielsen

Asked by Feb 27, 2015 at 08:17 AM about the 1994 Dodge Colt 2 Dr STD Coupe

You did not mention which engine was in you Colt nor whether is has AC or Power steering. Assuming you have the move common 1.5L engine it is fairly straight forward. First I recommend disconnecting the battery (ground or negative is usually easiest). to remove the belt there is a lock nut and a pivot bolt. you must loosen both first, then loosen the adjusting bolt (some times called a jacking bolt) this allows the alternator to pivot towards the engine which allows the belt to become loose and removable. After the belt is removed you may remove the lock nut and the pivot bolt freeing the alternator. It may be necessary to remove the upper adjusting bracket to free the alternator and provide space enough to remove from the car. I am attaching a diagram, hopefully it shows up in the response.