Why does my 1988 22re engine buck and chug only when I make right hand turns ?

40

Asked by Jun 15, 2014 at 01:06 PM about the 1988 Toyota Pickup 2 Dr SR5 4WD Standard Cab SB

67,505

Sounds like the carburetor float is sticking. HTH. - Jim

40

Forgot to mention its EFI

67,505

If it's doing this on hard turns it's probably the power steering pressure switch. This switch screws into the pressure power steering hose and sends a signal to the computer to speed up the idle to compensate for the added load of high power steering fluid pressures on hard turning manuvers. HTH -Jim

40

It does it in mild turns, only when you are accelerating, it is a lot worse when turning hard. Thank you, I will give that a try.

40

By the way I just looked and I have a thing that has two vacuum lines cumming out of it, is that what you mean ?

67,505

Actually no. The thing I'm referring to is electrical. It will have a two wire plug on it. HTH. -Jim

40

I checked over the whole power steering system and there is no electrical connection / sensor in the system. The only thing I see is a two port vacuum "valve" in the power steering pump. This is a 1988 Toyota 4wd pickup with a 22re efi. I am at at a loss ....

67,505

I found that switch. I actually work at NAPA and was able to look it up. It's pressure sensitive. My guess is when you turn the wheel hard and the power steering fluid pressure increases vacuum is sent to an idle speed up device on the throttle body. Or vacuum is sent to the vacuum advance on the distributor to advance ignition timing and achieve the same result. Check the vacuum hoses for damage or breaks. If their good you'll have to check that vacuum is leaving the switch when you turn the steering wheel to it's full travel in both directions. If that's all ok you'll need to test the idle speed up device or vacuum advance mechanism. BTW my '86 Chevy C-10 Pick Up had the electrical switch. HTH. -Jim