95 Dodge dakota, sluggish, backfires.

10

Asked by Jan 18, 2016 at 08:04 PM about the 1995 Dodge Dakota 2 Dr SLT Extended Cab SB

I have a 95 Dodge Dakota, that runs ok at start, not a lot of get up and go, but it goes, I know I need a tune up, but when it warms up, it likes to drag it feet when I start up and backfire sometimes. its gets "10 Miles per Gallon." Just last week the fuel pump went out on me. Didn't know it right away, so I checked all the cheap easy fixes I could while I was at work, sense it quit on me at work. No corrosion in the wiring under the fuse box. Fuel pump fuse is good, and now it has a brand new Ignition coil on it. Finally decided the try the fuel pump, bought a new 1 and replaced it. Good news, its runs again. starts up with no problem. Bad news, its still gets sluggish and back fires when it gets hot, or I drive it around a lot. I replace the IAC valve, and it didn't fix it. I plan on replacing the MAP sensor, and the Throttle sensor, in hopes of those working. And I hope when I replace the spark plug and wires, it takes care of the miss it has, if not I'm getting a new Distributor cap and rotor. and other ideas? I didn't notice if it had a Catalytic convertor or not on it. I'm thinking someone already guessed at that and removed it. I have to look again. Or the Muffler. Now the Negative Battery post can be removed by hand, after seeing some of yours guys post, now I want to check the battery and the ground connections. MY other issue is, when I first get in the truck and start driving it, when I make a turn and give it gas, if I really push on the throttle, it makes a rubbing sound, metal on metal, and sometimes while accelerating it likes to shake, any good leads on what to check on that?

79,705

You say that you know your truck needs a tuneup. Do a tuneup and see what happens!

45

Check all your valves; intake and exhaust. Sounds like out of adjustment

220

I would not mess with TPS but I would defiantly clean the MAP sensor with some cleaner. Sounds like it's starving for air in the fuel/air mixture. They build up carbon on them and loose some get up and go. Good luck hope you get it.

10

I plan on doing a tune up, got to have money first. Last night I cleaned the battery post and connectors. notices that the wires where loose, so I took them off of the connector and cleaned them and made sure they where connected goo. someone had moved the ground to a painted part of the body, I took that off, sanded it and added a washer to give it better contact. Drove it home last night and it ran ok. When I left the house today, the check engine light did not come on, ran smooth, still not much get up and go, but it goes. (Thinking some Transmission issue, or drive shaft or rear end issues). Any ways I was doing 70 to 80 MPH on the hwy, and the Voltage meter was working also.(It has not been working) but when I got to an area of the turn pike where I had to decrease my speed to 55, the check engine light came on, and it started to miss again and run rough. Now I have not heard of cleaning the Map sensor, I will have to give that a try tonight. Any other tips?

79,705

Dude - do the tune up. Spark plugs don't cost that much and you will save on gas.