Why wont my mr2 start?

15

Asked by Jan 29, 2015 at 03:02 PM about the 1985 Toyota MR2 STD Coupe

so i was driving down the road about to change gears then all of a sudden my headlights
got really bright then blew, some sort of power surge. The car now wont even try to start,
we just replaced the alternator and checked all the fuses but it didnt change anything. If
anyone knows anything please help, i havent got to drive it in 2 months :(

7,895

are there any abnormal sounds when you trn the key

15

there's no noise at all

7,895

are your battery terminals clean and tight

15

yes

49,295

I wonder if the alternator's voltage regulator or something else with the alternator went bad causing an overvoltage condition killing the headlamps. If the voltage was high enough there could be all kinds of issues. This may have damaged the battery also.

15

thats what i thought, the voltage regulator did go bad, got a new alternator and battery but the car still isnt starting, the starter is fine, thinking its gotta be a wiring problem,