LANDCRUISER J60 OVERHEATING

Asked by Nov 29, 2012 at 05:25 PM about the 1984 Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD

my 1984 LANDCRUISER IS OVERHEATING. I'VE CHANGED THERMOSTAT'S, NEW RADIATOR, PLENTY OF
COOLANT BUT STILL IT OVERHEATS INTO THE RED. THE ONLY THING I'VE DONE DIFFERENT IS I INSTALLED
AND ELECTRIC RADIATOR FAN AND DID AWAY WITH THE FAN SHROUD, FAN AND FAN CLUTCH. COULD
THIS BE THE PROBLEM

Yep. It could. The shroud is there for a reason, not to protect your fingers, but direct air-flow. Otherwise the air does not flow where it was designed, and could cause an overheating problem. But not real severe. A fully functioning system will take up some of that slack, but it does need the shroud

Best Answer
99,165

Is there a way to bleed air out of the engine? Is the coolant flowing? Are both radiator hoses hot? Is there heat from the HVAC? --- Could be that you don't have enough coolant or the T-stat is backwards. You must have had the overheating problem before changing all the parts.

1,905

Okay... When you do a radiator change on a TLC, you MUST burp the engine after adding coolant. This is done by turning on the engine with radiator cap off, then driving the front wheels up on a pair of ramps (log, curb, etc.) at least 24inches above the rear wheels. Let the truck run at least 30 minutes with front elevated, adding coolant as air bubbles out. This is assuming you have a functional thermostat and water pump.

1,905

Air pockets in the block will render your coolant system moot!

check the water body in eagine or check fan blow means speed

maybe water is entering your engine, it maybe bcoz your gasket needs to be change. it can cause you too much pressure in your engine and will damage your cylinder head.