So my 89 crx is losing power to the battery I figured out it is my sound system that is draining the battery what could I do to fix this I have 2 12 alpine subs with a 2000 watt amp

Asked by Jun 17, 2015 at 10:50 AM about the 1989 Honda Civic CRX 2 Dr Si Hatchback

I would install a switch that will kill the power to the stereo until I wanted it on. That way you can make sure that the alternator is charging the battery as you drive instead of supplying all of the juice to the stereo. Your alternator just can't charge the battery fast enough with that kind of a drain. I'm sure if you do some research, there's probably some really expensive way of getting the power supplied to a system like that. The question is, do you really want to spend that kind of money?

Michael Kane

Glad to see you took my suggestion by disconnecting the stereo, aftermarket stereo's are known to drain or overload the charging system. Reelin has a good idea with the kill switch. You could also try to get a higher output altenator and larger more powerful battery.

Michael Kane

Your stock altenator puts out 90 amps the high output alt puts out 135 amps.You should be able to find one on ebay and that should get you back in business. Getting a better battery would also help keep the charge as well.

Michael Kane

Even better here is a 170 amp alt: