how much is a 1966 gto worth in need of restoration?

35

Asked by Jul 05, 2012 at 12:10 PM about the 1966 Pontiac GTO Coupe

non #'s matching. it has a 68 400 running good in need of trunk and floor pans complete. has all glass plus all new used glass ready to install. typical rust in window channel and rockers . car has all original stainless. interior front seats shot rear seat decent shape.painted several times paint dull . no shine .car in need of restoration. not sure about tranny. what should i offer

75

id say if its really rough offer around 1200 to 1700 but if its decent go up to 3000, its a gm product and brand new repo parts are not expensive, if you put 10k into it you will have a very nice, clean show winning car.... good luck

3,105

it sounds like that car needs a lot of work, i just sold my 65 tri power GTO for 4000.00 but it did have the original engine & tranny. the floors were good but no trunk or rear seats and quarter panels were shot. in other words it was a rust bucket. since you don't have the original engine that brings the value down,you could make more money parting it out. original parts are getting harder & harder to find.do you know what the engine is out of ? if its a GTO engine you'll get more for it than if it's from a grand prix.is it automatic or 4 speed? any pictures?

95

I would agree with Alex, It doens't have to be all about originallity , after all you want to have fun with the car , i doubt your gonna wanna Trailer Queen. parts are not that hard to find there's companies that reproduce and Plenty of NOS. I can name a handful of companies , GoodMark, Year One, among them

3,105

yes it does ! when it comes to the value of a car like a GTO originality is everything ! goodmark doesn't make original equiptment, they make aftermarket crap. i had one of their quarter panels , i know, they may look the same but the quality just isn't there. the gm parts year one caries are emblems and things iike that every thing else is aftermarket. just read one of their catalogs they tell you . the quality with their yo rating. to put ten grand into a car with rust is nothing compared to all the hidden rust that you dont see until the car is stripped down , if the floors are so bad that the braces have to be replaced the body has to come off the chasis to replace them. believe me there's alot more involved than you can imagine, i did it with 3 cars already.

35

I am looking to purchase the car.These pictures make the car look better than it actually is. I do not know if the engine is from a gto, but I can find out if it makes that much of a difference. Like I said it definetly needs body off resto. I was thinking of offering 8,000.

35

here is the engine

35

The transmission is a 4 speed. If you look closelyyou can see the car leaning to the driver side that is because the body mount has no steel to bolt to it is just leaning on the frame. this car has been in the east coast its whole life.

3,105

this car has a lot of rust. to fix this car the right way it would cost close to 20 thousand. with paint. the engine looks good ,look on the front passenger side of the engine just below the head for 2 letter code,that will tell you what it's out of.or let me know i'll tell you. a fair price to sell it the way it is about 3500.00.

10

If it was in purfact shape it would go around 68-80,000.

I have one for sale if anyone is interested its far from a rust bucket

what should i ask for it has a good running 428 3sd auto very little rust but not perfect about 10 grand would make her show quality unless you can do all the work yourself

5

(Wife here, JMO after getting parts for husband's 1966). Price it at 30k and see what happens. Personally I think there ARE factors that increase resale value--the icing so to speak that seems trivial but is a pain to get; small touches like historical plates (CA are blk w/yellow) and a '66 reg tab; I spent 2 years tracking that stuff down and hounding the DMV; just a nightmare! (And one a buyer won't have to deal with), I found the tri power, a center console, and got him to put the (from factory so...) vinyl roof back Sure ours still needs work but it HAS won awards and is a strong driver. I threw ours out there for 40k, not really desiring to sell it but never know....right place at right time Good luck!.

Corsica 419. How much are you asking and where is car