Journey won't start

Asked by Aug 13, 2016 at 09:39 PM about the 2013 Dodge Journey SXT

So tonight I went to start my journey and  it won't
start. It has plenty of power and you can hear the
click when you press the push button with foot on
break. Any thoughts?

70

I just had the same problem and it ended up being my battery. It was enough power to turn on the lights raido and everything except to start it. It was a pain in the butt to change it, but at least it's working.

140

Same thing happened to me this morning! All the lights inside & out worked, it locked and unlocked with no prob, just won't kick over. Wondered if it was the battery.

220

turn on , depress brake and shift to N, turn key and car will start

10

Joe you are amazing

240

Joe where is the entry to turn key? I have a 2013 and cannot find any entry. My car was fine all day no slow start then come out to head home and battery had juice like everyone says but wouldn't kick over. Mechanic said it could be the battery but aaa tried to jump it and still nothing. I'm scared of what it could be and I'm a struggling single mom. Please any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance

70

turn on how?!?! and nuetral?

30

to those who do not know how to "turn it on" to put the vehicle in Neutral - turn key to "on" position. should be able to move the gear.

40

Joe is correct its not a battery issue for those still lost. Its has to do with the security system which has been an on going problem with dodge chrysler. I'm sure they are very aware of the issue but refusing to make the proper adjustments to fix it. But any ways turn the car to the on position do not attempt to crank just press the brake move shifter to to Neutral "N" Do not remove your foot off the brake the car might roll lol. But finish turning the key over an there you go your car will crank.

180

What if you have a button starter. No key entry to turn it on! I have a 2013 and cabot get it to start

70

Second time in one week Always stranded with dodge Journey 2009! it does work with the on position.

250

I have a Dodge Journey 2015 push to start and it won't start why

110

Any solutions to this problem? I have a 2015 Journey so I have a push button and not a regular key. Has anyone found out what the issue might be?

40

Thank you Joe AND Larry. Your tricked worked. Just to clarify the "On" mode Joe and Larry mention is actually the "Run" mode in my 2013 Journey Crew 3.6L V6. Push the start/stop button twice to get into Run mode. Both times I have been unable to start engine I tried to start the engine without the FOB within range. At that point I think the engine goes into some kind of anti-theft mode as Larry mentioned.

10

It works thanks guys

20

Thank you !!!!!! Waiting roadside found this comment and bingo. Now I am on the road. I cannot believe it. So glad I didn't have to pay for a tow or a shop charge. Note in my 2010 Journey I turned to "ON' position and pressed on brake (which it wouldn't go down) tried to shift to neutral but it wouldn't allow it to slide out). Still worked by going through the motions. Turned over like it should have.SO GRATEFUL FOR THIS POST!!

20

I purchased a 2014 used Dodge Journey in April. Out of the first 134 days I had it, it was in the shop 66 days and at my home 68 days. The battery kept going dead if not started or driven for 36 hours. The problem was traced to the electric tail gate lock, and the CD player, both are tied into each other. When those 2 Items were replaced my problem ended

50

This worked for my 2016 keyless journey. It must have been in some kind ok security or lock down mode because the brake would not depress and the engine would not start and i could not shift it out of park. To clarify the instructions: 1. With brake not depressed, press start button until it is in the run position. 2. Then depress brake 3. Then gear shift should release, put it in nueyral. 4. Then push start button. Voila! It should turn over!!

20

Its my third time with this problem every time different solution first time i just move to N then to P and it start 2nd time i jumped the car and today my 3rd during night time after trying every possible solution i hit the starter and it worked.

50

I ha e a 2012 Dodge Journey this is the second time wr have had this problem. The first time wr had to repmace the battery. That was 2 months ago. Now it is doing it again. There is no where to out a key and it wont switch overr to on or run position at all for us tot try to put it into nuetral. The first time the entire dashboard, radio, and interior lights went nuts. This time we get no response at all.

50

I have a 2012 Dodge Journey this is the second time wr have had this problem. The first time wr had to repmace the battery. That was 2 months ago. Now it is doing it again. There is no where to out a key and it wont switch overr to on or run position at all for us tot try to put it into nuetral. The first time the entire dashboard, radio, and interior lights went nuts. This time we get no response at all.

I have had this happen 4 times now! 1st time tow truck driver got it in neutral and jumped it......no problems for a month. 2nd time was told battery needs replaced. Did that. 2 months later dealership told me that ingnition needed replacing. Did that. Yesterday tried every "trick" and then it made a strange noise and NOTHING. Towed to dealership to be told battery dead, yet won't address the initial issue of not starting and saying key not detected. Selling this vehicle this week. I am over it!

20

I have a Dodge Journey 2015. I purchase the truck last year. The first year Cherry didn't give me any problems except one little small problem and that was the cd player. It decided to stop working for a little while. But its work now, my problem is now my truck locks and unlocks its self now and every morning for the last two days it won't start i have to get a jump. I don't know what is the going on with my truck.Can someone tell me what is the problem?

10

How do you remove the push start button on a 2013 Dodge Journey?

10

My 2015 Journey has 52k,three certified mechanics spent more than 2 hours diagnosing the problem and,only concluded that it was a computer program error or,push start button malfunction.They recommended I have it towed to the Dodge Dealership because it was above their abilities.My solution was to simply disengage the positive battery cable, cutting the power and rebooting the computer.

20

Recently I noticed when I activate the left turn signal on my 2014 Journey the rear tail/turn lights both flash. When I turn on the right signal, only the right side flashes. So I did a walk around with the left signal on. The light just beneath the driver door, the fender light and the left and right rear tail/turn lights flash but nothing on the front or center right side. I have checked flasher, bulbs, wiring as best I can see it, fuses, took apart the signal lever on the steering column to investigate, nothing makes any difference. I'm thinking this has to be something so obviously simple I just can't see it. Any thoughts? Help? Greatly appreciated.

30

i had the same problem engine just clicking along with my niece i have a 2009 and hers is a 2010 i put a ground cable from battery to motor six months ago and hers about three months ago with no starting issues

10

I have a 2014 Dodge Journey which I purchased on 1/23/18. Had the vehicle a month and it died when I came out of drug store. It had NO power. I called AAA for a jump. Battery checked okay, but still had no power. Had to be towed to dealership. They said they diagnosed it as a bad fuse box under the hood. They are still waiting for a part, but it has been there a week now. I am not sure if that will be the cause of it, but we shall soon find out whenever the part gets in.

I would be interested in to know why they say that. Have a 2014 with no power at push button or radio. It is like it does see that you are trying to start it

10

I got my car back from the shop. They said it was a faulty TIPM. This is the Totally Integrated Power Module. AKA fuse box under the hood. It was replaced and they said it started right up. After reading, it seems that there are a lot of issues with this thing...

10

Same problem; since the been a problem since2009 we should take Chrysler to court class action suit.

10

i have a 2014 Dodge Journey push button start with same starting issue. Tried the push button trick with shifter in Neutral and Park...still no go. Noticed also that electronic door locks will not operate either. Any ideas???

10

We have the same issue with our 2013 journey and tried the trick joe mentioned but it didn’t work. Does anyone know the issue causing this and how much it might cost to fix??

I have a 2009 dodge journey. I had all kinds of problems radio when off, key fob would not turn, the car won’t turn on, losing power while driving and couple times when off while driving. I replaced the battery, the key fob, the module for the started and almost changed the hole computer at Dodge’s advise. I noticed that the battery is too small for this car, so I decide to go easy add a cable from the battery to let the engine to get direct from the battery as someone suggested in this page, but it did not work completely until I added a starter solenoid. One month so far and runs fantastic! With a 20-dollar fix. I Wish I would have read this page sooner and to save someone to spend hundreds of dollars.

10

In the 2010 Dodge Journey, try replacing the various fuses and relays that are used to start it first. These fuses and realys are cheap and you can replace them yourself. Just google the fuse box diagram and go to the local parts store.