I have a 2013 Dodge Journey. I have been told that a brake service ($120) will reduce wear and tear. That doesn't make sense to me. I do live in an area with lots of snow and salt on the roads during winter. I know prevention is a good thing? But so far this seems not necessary. Could someone clarify this for me?

10

Asked by Jul 23, 2015 at 01:39 PM about the 2013 Dodge Journey SXT

I have been told that a brake service ($120) will reduce wear and tear. That doesn't make
sense to me. I do live in an area with lots of snow and salt on the roads during winter. I
know prevention is a good thing? But so far this seems not necessary. Could someone
clarify this for me?

122,705

wear and tear on what? if the brakes are good, no need to replace them...

9,740

servicing calipers can improve returnability of caliper slides, pad ears can be lubed or refitted, shoes can be lubed against their pivots or slide bosses, dust can be cleaned out, deglazing can increase effectiveness, it all depends what ails it and what's effective. some paint can also help in many cases. brakes can wear unevenly due to a lack of inspection and correction. A shop that recommends this sees alot of premature failure due to stuck or corroded parts and may recommend it during a normal inspection. It pays them, and if your problems could turn expensive, it would pay you to be ahead of the corrosion.

Best Answer Mark helpful
23,160

Sounds like they are just trying to sale you a brake job. If they can not show you that you definitely need brake work done tell them c yeah.

9,740

You could ask to be shown exactly why it was needed, have the areas pointed out to you and see to it that the proper hardware and covers are intact or the right lube thats recommended was being used. then the calipers may not be a total loss when its time for just pads. I've seen it bad on some, and merely preventative on others. when you live by a mountain, you recommend different than when you are on the flat. Your customer comes to you based on what his usage does to his system. Then you start trying to warn and prevent, use different parts and add methods.

9,740

I had to find causes of premature failure all the time when I worked 6 miles away from the gridlocked narrows bridge. I had to recommend performance carbon metallics for RV's when I worked by a mountain. The rotors were all coming in with cracks and people carry every unnecessary thing they own when travelling. I worked at a place where everyone had corroded squeaky brakes near a saltwater harbor. we serviced theirs between brake jobs, free, I might add, because they were covered.

9,740

Some mindsets are wait till its on fire, replace all the failed parts....others do what a technician is supposed to do. people call them both liars because they want things and dont want to pay, but look for someone to blame, its so easy to ask... can I come look? you can pont it out and explain. BFD.

9,740

Your dealer has a major and minor service, they recommend what you need before you need it, you, for the most part, stay trouble free. How could they know what you need that is not in schedule "A" sched "B" or C ? hmmm, repetition? reputation? reputiation? retribution? Just respond to your actual inspection, thats the smart money.