Why would my speedometer suddenly stop working?

30

Asked by Mar 01, 2015 at 01:46 PM about the 2000 Dodge Intrepid Base

a few days ago I had my plug for
where the diagnostic machine goes
into rewired and replaced I. Order to
check the engine light. He checked
the code and cleared it as it was only
a fine leak. However when I pulled off
I noticed all my PRND 1234 lights
were lit up and my speedometer
wasn't working. It feels like the car
won't go past 49MPH. What could
this be? And could changing that
part have caused this? Please help
thanks.

12,410

if you are referring to a small evap leak, just clearing the code wont help. you should deal with the problem. these leaks can cause driveability problems. also, if your speedo isn't working it could be the speed sensor on the tranny or the gauge cluster stepper motor itself.

30

I was told drive it and if the light came on again change the gas cap. Yes it was an Evap leak code. Now I have two new codes P1698 and P0500. Whould his changing that part have causes all theses other issues? The car ran perfectly before.

4,965

Hi if you lost your speedo and the car will not drive over 49 then you lost the output sensor on the transmission...// your trany is in limp in mode and will not shift out of second gear ...you will need to get the output speed senor tested and replaced ....// take my advise and have both the input and output sensors done at the same time they are both on the side of the trany and I have seen it more than once when one was done a week later the vehicle comes back and the other has failed ..// also if you can don't drive it ...// driving it in limp in mode will overheat and damage the trany..//also the p1698 code is lost communication from the(TCM) trany control module to the power control module so something is going on power or ground wise with the TCM

Best Answer Mark helpful
30

Thank you

30

Is this expensive to fix?

30

Also would him changing that part have caused this? In wondering if I should make him liable for fixing this since it happened after he changed the part

4,965

Hi it possible that you might just have a burnt fuse try checking them first and see ..// he might have caused it when he was rewiring the DRB connector (shorted one out to ground)...// so try that first

30

Okay Will do. Thanks again.

4,965

no problem let me know how you make out and if I can help any more

40

I am having a problem with my 2000 dodge intrepid I changed both sensors and still no speedometer and its still in limp mode help please

30

Months later and I'm still having the same issue and now the tranny is slipping I guess from it being driven like this so long , I'm looking into another car but the tranny guy said the computer is not registering the output sensor in the car