what would make the speedometer quite working and make the transmission jump into limpmode

155

Asked by Sep 02, 2007 at 04:51 PM about the 1997 Dodge Intrepid 4 Dr ES Sedan

sometimes you can drive car thirty miles and have no problems under 45 miles per hour. sometimes as soon as you put it in reverse it jumps into limp mode and the speedometer dose not work. Have replaced both speed sensors and changed transmission fluid and filter. when speedometer quits working tranny jumps into limp mode and will not shift out of second gear. have you heard of this problem.

43,945

Sounds like either an electrical short, or perhaps one of the engine controls. I believe the speedometer on this is controlled by a speed sensor. The cluster SHOULDN'T be the problem; however, I have seen other Dodge vehicles where the cluster causes a problem and the vehicle exhibits funny issues. Take this one to a dealer and ask them to check the sensor that the speedo pulls input from -- it's not cable-controlled like in the old days.

Had the same problem on my 98 trep with the 3.2L. They call it a TCM (transmission control module)

10

I have the same issues. No instruments after starting, Changed TCM, PCM, BCM with no change. Next is the instrument cluster. The manual says the cluster receives input via the Body control module (BCM) by the CCD. The CCD send signals by 4 wires to the cluster. I guess thats where Ill go looking next.

45

my 99 did something similar it was a output sensor on side of tranny on driver side

5

my o2 also did the same thing and it was the TCM sensor