How can you tell if your breaks are going bad infront?

Asked by Feb 29, 2012 at 08:21 PM about the 2001 Dodge Stratus SE

my right break is making a sound, I washed the wheel don't know if it's water. would there be a warning light that comes on when the breaks go out? like check engine light.

2,455

No there will not be any light. Put the vehicle in park, pull the parking brake and chock the R/R wheel. Jack up the R/F wheel and remove it. If you use your factory jack kit and lug-wrench to do this, be careful, those jacks are notoriously unstable...study your owner's manual on proper jack-points and tire removal procedure. Then with a flashlight, look at the brake pads. On either side of the rotor, you will have a brake pad contacting the rotor, then a backplate that is attached to the friction material (pad) and holds it into the caliper and slide assembly. There should be a decent amount of pad material left on either side. This is what worn out brake pads look like. Check the rotor for scratching or scoring or a chewed-up surface; this means it's grinding.

3,115

Take the wheel off and look... There are normally "screetchers" on brake pads that are designed to cause a metal on metal noise when the pads get warn down. There won't be any kind of warning light for worn out brakes..... drive it for another day, if the noise continues your brakes need to be done, if it goes away then it was probably just dirt or water