My 2001 dodge intrepid will not start. I tried to jump it and all I got was the interior lights to come on. My Dad said I probably have dirty battery terminals. How do I change the battery w/o a jack?

Asked by Jul 22, 2012 at 01:50 PM about the 2001 Dodge Intrepid SE

The car started fine 30 minutes ago and now it wont turn over, click or do anything....complete and utter
flatline situation here...HELP

1,555

Bobi, the battery is on the left side under the hood, all you will need is a 1/2" or 13 mm wrench and to open the hood. You'll want to get some baking soda and water and possibly an old toothbrush you were going to throw away any way and just mix the baking soda and water together and pour it slowly over the terminals... the toothbrush is just in case you need to scrub the terminals to remove the corrosion. The best thing would be to get a terminal brush at your local auto parts store and take each side off and brush the terminal on the battery and the terminal on the wire for both positive and negative and then reassemble and try it again.

18,545

This is the car where the battery is under the fender isnt it? I have succeded in simply turning the wheel all the way in one direction to give enough clearence to remove the battery. Along with the terminals clean the top of the battery, the acids can seep thru the caps and cause voltage to not go anywhere but the battery. It will have a visual layer of fluid on the top. I found out Windex works good becasue it evaporates quickly.