2004 Ford Freestar 3.9 heat is "luke warm"...??

10

Asked by Nov 19, 2013 at 04:45 PM about the 2004 Ford Freestar SE

I have a 2004 Ford Freestar 3.9 V6.  My heat is "luke warm".  I've replaced the thermostat, it didn't help.  I'm not losing coolant anywhere.  The coolant looks fairly "gunky" though.  I want to try to flush my system.  Can someone give me some pointers on the best way to do this?  A mechanic told me there is a good chance something is blocking flow to my heater core.  I'm looking for specific steps on how to flush it.  I do have a good size air compressor.  Is it better to use air or water?  The "temperature door" seems to be working ok (it changes from cold to warm).  Any input would be appreciated!

217,715

http://www.myfordfreestyle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3139

10

Hi Tom, Thanks for the info...only problem is it's for a freestyle and not a freestar. Looking at the pics, I believe my cooling system is different...??

217,715

Sorry, but use the same principal.

217,715

The best way is to get the Prestone flush kit, however that requires access to heater hoses, cutting and inserting the adapters, and that is not easy as they are up against the firewall. The trick is to drain, fill, drain, fill. You can drain the cooling system (except for water jackets) by opening the drain petcock on the radiator, fill with fresh water and run engine, I usually only run it about 5 minutes the first time around. Repeat this again usually the water comes out very light in color. Fill it again and let it run until thermostat opens, let it cool and drain again.Then fill radiator with coolant and until full, without engine running. Water in the engine and hoses will mix with the coolant you added into the radiator. Use a tester to determine if you have the proper 50/50 mixture.