What kind of simple mods could I do to my 02 dodge neon to give it more pep

Asked by Sep 19, 2016 at 03:06 PM about the 2002 Dodge Neon 4 Dr SE Sedan

All stock 02 dodge neon, would really like to
not have to floor it at every intersection to
get out of the way. Car is very slow. I would
love to add on some parts to really bump up
the horse power.

I was told taking off my headers and having them bored over and polished would be a good idea. What about the other areas though. Like new computer. Fuel injectors better spark plugs. New file rail? Cold air intake?

105,265

The neon was designed to get good mileage, so power was not even considered, to get more ponies is going to take some serious cash, turbo charging is a about the quickest way to get more punch out of it, or you could add NOX injection, or change the final drive gear ratio to something a lot lower, but doing that will limit top speed severely, computer chips can only do so much, but if your not wanting a big jump in performance then you might consider goin that route.

35

Have to be careful when trying to add power. Can the engine handle it? Will it cause premature failure of other parts? Was this car designed to handle speed (NO)--are the brakes, steering, suspension designed for a bunch more torque and HP? Installing nitrous oxide is just down right dangerous and stupid -- a Neon was never designed or built for that kind of pressure. CAI and/or exhaust may get you a little more pep, but not worth the cost. Best idea: if you like the car, keep it and enjoy what you've got. Otherwise you can sell it and buy a used car engineered for more speed, such as a Mitsubishi or Suburu.

Thank you I wouldn't even consider NOS. But a computer chip and rebuilt head bored out seems to be rather cheap way to go for now

Do high performance spark plugs really offer any more bang for their buck? Than the cheapest.

263,735

Nope, not unless you put new heads and exhaust on.

Thank all of y'all for your insight

I have an '03 neon sxt and I'm getting the same "BASE" HP as an srt-4 and all I did was plug up an OBD2 mmodule in and got a 35% HP gain and a 25% torque gain.... The part cost me $5... Yes $5 and iIcan smoke the tires wwhenever I want to... And sometimes when I don't