making power for dodge neon

Asked by Jun 19, 2017 at 12:51 PM about the 2003 Dodge Neon 4 Dr SE Sedan

I have a 03 dodge neon and I'm trying to find out
what to do if I 2ant to make more power. I'm on a
budget but I don't know where to even begin???
Please help

895

The best and easiest way to get power out of your neon. Is to find a wrecked SRT4 and put everything into your neon. That would be a true sleeper. There are some bolt on parts for the base neon. But it's still the base engine neon and you probably wont be happy with what you get for your money.

1,630

Reminds me of everyone in the V6 mustang forum asking "how can I get more HP?" --- the idiot answer was always "trade it for a GT" now past the obvious answer, look into all engine / exhaust / weight reduction mods. If you only need power, all sorts of little things you can do to trick it out. Smaller alloy wheels, straight pipes, cold air intake, adding a procharger. Frankly if you put anything over $3000 into the car, you may as well just upgrade to something old that already has a V8.

895

There is a strong aftermarket for the base V6 mustang that already made 300 hp stock, There is virtually nothing you can do to the stock Economy motor the neon came with making 130 hp You need to compare apples to apples. There are very few performance goodies for the base 2003 neon due to the fact that there is a srt4 market. Even if there were the base engine was not meant for power. All the bolt on goodies wont get you more that 15-20 percent more power. And that equates to about 25 horses. for about three grand. As I said you wont be happy with the results for the money. And a procharger. You would have to make your own kit due to the fact that there is not one readily available. So add four grand to the parts bill alone, Custom tuning another 1000 bucks. All that for less than 200 hp. Only to see the trans explode and the pistons melt down. nevermind the notoriously weak head gaskets on the 2.0. The SRT4 makes over 200 stock. And loves upgrades. I can buy a smashed one for around two grand. How do smaller alloy wheels make power? Thats why i don't go to mustang forums.