will i notice a differance???

30

Asked by Feb 05, 2009 at 07:19 PM about the 2002 Dodge Dakota 2 Dr SXT Extended Cab SB

i have 3.9 and i want better mileage. i have cold air intake and custom ex. i am thinging on buying a super chip programer. will i notice power or mileage

1,385

If you already have the cold air intake and exhaust, you will probably notice some mileage and power difference with an ECU flash. It will not be a major difference. Probably 10 hp and maybe 1 mpg. You could probably get another 5-10 hp and maybe another 1 mpg with an underdrive pulley kit. There is no magic part that will give you 50 hp and 10 mpg, but if you combine a few well-though-out parts it will make a noticeable difference

5

hey this is norm from iowa and i see you know some thngs about the dakota.... I have a 99 with a 3.9 v6 4x4 when it is really cold there is a knock in the lower end...for fear that i might blow the damn thing up do you know of any motors that are for sale or maybe even a rebuild kit. I have everything else minus the pullys ... i have an AirRaid cold air intake and the spacer just under the trottle body and a Thrush High flow glass pack. sounds good for a v6. if you could let me know what you think or drop me some ideas to help fix this.

1,385

If you are willing to spend the $$$, you can get a remanufactured short block at the Dodge dealer. I am not sure about the price, but the reman engines from Dodge usually come with a 3 yr, 36,000 mile warranty. You do not need a long block or complete engine since yours is still running. You should be able to reuse your heads, intake, accessories and so on. If you can do the work yourself, then check summitracing.com for a rebuild kit. The rebuild kits are very affordable (a stock rebuild may be as cheap as $300). If you go with the kit, you can rebuild the engine any way you want. More compression, bigger cam, or any other modification is easy to do when the engine is apart. The best way to decide which way to go is to decide if it is more important to save money or time. Another thought: the 5.2 and 5.9 V8's will bolt right into that truck (same engine mounts/transmission, etc) You would need the engine computer and wiring harness from a donor vehicle to make it work. The only possible "hitch" to the V8 swap is some of the PCM's have a security-lockout feature that would have to be relearned at the Dodge dealer. Also, some Dodge PCM's have the VIN number stored in them and that feature can make it impossible to use a junkyard PCM. If this becomes an issue, then a blank computer can be purchased from the dealer, and programmed with the correct VIN and engine.

30

hi tim i have not put the spacer in yet

35

i have a dakota r/t and i get about 16 mpg on the highway but i bought some pulse plugs...yes very expensive 25 a piece 200 total but i got 4 more mpg and they paid for them selfs in one round trip to michgan and back from florida and you only need 6 so about 150 yes i was like there is no way a spark plug would do this i was the biggest non believer but i decided to do it cause it wouldnt hurt and wow did it help..and on the superchip i would go with a mopar pcm

20

Hi new here. Ihave a 2001 4x4 quad cab dakota. Was wondering about the superchips programer. local performance shop said that the 3865 SCP would make a difference on the 87 octane setting. there is no millage setting. has anyone got this and done it? did it work?

1,385

How about performance? 4 mpg is a HUGE difference for a set of plugs, but I want to know if they provide any more power or improve driveability. I have seen the pulstar plugs advertised, but was afraid to try them due to the high cost.

35

yes with performance too..i thought it was a big scandle but so far im very impressed you can feel the power as advertized i also have them im my or srt4 and i noticed it a bit but not as much as i did in my 5.9 gas hog

20

Has anyone used the superchips programer. and noticed a difference?

2,885

Most Dakota owners are very happy with the superchips tuner, but I've only ever seen people using the 3715 and the new 3815 flashpaq.... I wasn't even aware that there was another model for Dakotas

6,675

dont waste your money on pulstar plugs. jsut go get some good ngk plugs. pulstars advertised performance is there new plugs to old used plugs. they give NO GAINS compared to brand new ngk plugs. but they do have shorter life spans and cost way more. so if you want to waste time and money go for it lol.

35

there is no performance gain hmm thats odd thats why there are a ton of independent reviews on how they made hp on a dyno to prove this ...and not my some no names so if you need it in black and white i can show you and btw they made 3 more hp on a 4 banger over the ngk

6,675

Like I said earlier in my first post the pulstars are compared to used plugs of other brands. Not brand new ones. They don't make any more hp. I will need to see multiple independent studies showing pulstars is better because I bet I can find multiple studies showing ngk is better too.

6,675

oh and furthermore there are tons of reported problems where the pulstars cause check engine codes and misfiring problems. they also have reliability problems with cracking. certain applications i will agree they are probably making more hp than other plugs. but in others there are other plugs that will make more hp. im speaking on an overall application. its kind of like K&N air filters. in certain cars they make more hp and in others they cause loss in hp. i look at it this way. what is the most popular used plug in high performance cars? its ngk. and id rather have a ngk plug that has basically zero issues and lasts forever then a pulstar plug that is reported to have tons of problems and a shorter life for more money.