How does the 328 convertible handle in winter conditions

Asked by Jul 15, 2012 at 12:08 PM about the 2012 BMW 3 Series 328i Convertible SULEV

I am shopping for a hard to convertible.  Live in Chicago, so want to make sure it can handle ice & snow
on the road.  Will the dynamic traction control act the same as AWD?

4,705

No the dynamic traction is completely different system from an awd vehicle. All wheel drive means all 4 wheels are being driven at the same time as a 2wd only the front or rear wheels are being turned. The dynamic traction control on a bmw uses many different things on the vehicle to work together to help the vehicle drive safely in all conditions. Just as if wheel slip is detected DSC (dynamic stability control) Will apply the brakes for you to the wheel that is slipping and cut engine throttle off until that wheel has stopped slipping. That is just one feature of DSC on a bmw there are many many more. DSC helps greatly in snowy and ice conditions but an AWD stills helps out the best in snow. My suggestion is if you dont get an AWD just by snow tires its night and day difference in the winter. If you need clarification on anything just ask hope this helps.

3,335

I totally agree with Robert. Having lived in Minneapolis for four years and driven RWD and AWD vehicles. Snow tires are a MUST. Just make sure to add the following to your trunk when the snow is threatening: A big bag of kitty litter - goof for weight and traction and can be sprinkled on slick roads for added grip if you get stuck. Cases of soda are also viable and consumable after it thaws. My sister lives outside of NYC, drives a 2001 e46 325ic and followed my advice and still owns the vehicles, which is her daily driver.

This is all good information. Our customers in Cleveland keep a dedicated set of snow tires and rims. Some pick up two tubes of sand at the hardware store and place one over each rear wheel for the winter. A rear wheel drive car with snow tires is much safer than a front wheel drive car. All wheel drive with snow tires is the best but rear wheel drive with snow tires is much better than all wheel drive with all season tires. Car and Drive wrote a nice article about this last fall.

625

I drive many different cars all year, Just buy four Blizzak tires by Bridgestone!. Makes even manual tranny pony cars like Camaro and even my 2003 330CiC go as well as my Jeep as long as it is not over 5 inches deep. Believe it! I no longer buy 4x4 pickups they are that good.

195

The above is all good feedback. The only thing I would add is that having a quality snow tire is really essential with a rwd car like a BMW. BMWs handle great when the traction is good. But if you don't have an appropriate tire for the weather (eg. a bald tire in a heavy rainstorm, or a summer tire or all-season tire that is more than a couple of seasons old and snowy conditions) you will NOT be a happy camper. Front drive cars or all wheel drive cars are much more tolerant of mediocre traction. With a good set of snow tires, and all of the electronic wizardry of a late model 3-series BMW (traction control, stability control, and anti-lock brakes) you will love your BMW convertible in the snow. I've put over 120,000 miles on my '03 BMW 3-series, all in snow country. It's been great.