Why won’t my Honda Odessey start?

Asked by Guru9WGBDK Mar 12, 2021 at 04:54 PM about the 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L FWD with DVD

About 3wks ago we had so wicked cold weather
like -19° cold! My van sat in my garage for
approximately five days. No anytime I try to start it
it cranks but will not turn over. One thing that is
very odd Is that if I turn the key it continues to
crank even though I’m not pushing on the gas or
even touching the key. It’s almost as if the extreme
cold messed up the computer or something. I
should also mention that I’ve had the car for about
five years and the alternator has been replaced four
times. I’m not certain on the trim package.

110

You are correct.... the cold and foreign cars do not get along with eachotger. Plastic and metal are just like your skin, it contracts when ut gets cold. So when you power up your key solenoid gets stuck

110

Wait wow.... 5yrs, 4 alternators. Sinething us wrong. Are you getting that alternator tested confirmed bad? Things that kill alternators are bad batteries and high Amp draw. High Amp draw happens from usually from lots of start up and shut down, like a ups driver. Or, you have a direct short to ground. Do all of your electronics work correctly? Have you tested and replaced your battery? Check and make sure it is the correct size, any auto parts place can test and check your battery size for free

110

I forgot to mention, if you buy cheap re-man alternators those will fail often. Most rebuild companies will Crack it open and only replace what is failed and will not do a complete rebuild leaving half worn out bearings and stators and such. Spend the extra $90 and get a new alternator. Re man alternators suck unless you can do it your self or find a local shop and request full refresh

110

Also forgot to mention, if you are using your car often to jump start vehicles your alternators will crao out faster. One way to help prevent damage to your alternators while jumpstarting is to get heavy gauge jumpers(tractor or semi cabke$$) and when you hook up battery.... good battery gets both negative and positive cables hooked up. Then the dead battery gets only the positive hooked up then the negative gets hooked to a ground location. I normally use strut tower bolts. Never hook both the positive and negative on the dead battery unless absolutely nessicary to get the thing going

110

If it been so cold out get a can of yellow iso-heat and poor it in the gas tank. Might need two depending if your tank is full. You might have iced up gas lines. There are many reasons cars won't start in such cold weather. From relays not working because the plastic contracted and not allowing relays to latch or unlatch, frozen gas lines, bad auto choke, heck wires even contract in the cold and the connection can pull loose just enough to screw thing up.. just so many reasons. Get in out if the cold and see what happens

Thanks for everyone’s input! From day one there definitely has been some questionable electrical issues with this van! I’d like to get it running and get rid of it!