Why does my shifter cable keep snapping?

Asked by Jan 27, 2015 at 09:04 AM about the 2003 Dodge Intrepid ES

I bought the car it was used, I only
had it maybe a year. I've put in more
shifter cables in it than I've drive it.
When I go to shift it, it pops and than
won't drive.

Sounds like you're not getting the right cable or it's not being adjusted properly upon installation. Visit your local Dodge dealer and get a genuine Dodge cable. Then talk to their service writer and ask for a copy of the installation and adjustment procedures from the factory shop manual. If they don't still have a shop manual for your car ask them to print out the information from All Data. HTH. -Jim

hi the issue you are having is that the shift rod that goes through the housing of the trany is metal and the trany case (housing) is aluminum ..// the two dissimilar metals corrode over time and now the shaft doesn't want to turn as easy as it should ...// in which case breaks or stresses the weakest link thus being the shift cable ...// I would have a tech that is knows your model and have them shift the trany at the shift lever to see how easy it moves ...// if its tight then the pan and the valve body will have to be removed and possible the shift shaft replaced..../ see the pic it would be the long shaft next to #2