1986 DODGE SHORT BED PICKUP. 318, turn signal and high beam lights work, none of the instrument light work, replaced lamps and fuses. what next.

Asked by Aug 21, 2013 at 01:52 PM about the 1986 Dodge RAM 150 Short Bed

67,305

Check the wiring at the headlight switch and the instrument cluster for proper grounding. Also, twist the headlight switch knob, while pulled out, several times. If the lights blink and flicker while doing that your headlight switch is bad. HTH. -Jim

I'll try that in the morning. Thanks.

I had the cluster out putting in new lamps. Is there a ground wire on it some where that is off. Did not see one when I removed it. I'll Ck the switch in the morning.

67,305

You're welcome. Most clusters are grounded through the chassis. That is they must contact something metal that's not painted behind the dash. As an example my '70 Pontiac had a similar issue that was caused by the previous owner replacing the radio. He forgot one screw at the lower corner of the instrument cluster. It secured a metal bracket which acted as a ground strap for the cluster. HTH. -Jim