Roof Rack for Fiat Convertible?

Asked by Aug 01, 2016 at 01:46 AM about the 2012 FIAT 500 Lounge Convertible

This is likely going to sound like a crazy question, but does anyone know if
there are there roof racks made for the 2012 Fiat 500 Lounge Convertible? I
want to transport a yoga SUP board, which is about 11 ft long and I'd prefer
not to have to buy a new car to do it...I've Googled like mad, to no avail, yet
I keep meeting people who say they've seen racks that hook onto the frame
of Fiat convertibles, and are elevated a few inches so the top can still be
lowered. Probably wishful thinking...Thanks!

24,005

Have you checked with the dealer? The Fiat "Salon" would know the answer to this- and if they don't, try searching Italian Fiat sites- they have them in Italy, no doubt- and shipping shouldn't be too much- how cool are you?! the Italian car, the alternate lifestyle- the Continental passion- you are the woman we all dream of!

Just saw your response almost a year later! I was ironically googling this same question and came across my own post... ha! Anyway, thank you for responding... not sure how cool I am, but I am determined to figure out how to transport my new board!

Michelle, I also have a Fiat convertible - the Abarth which I love but now that I am moving to the kayak heaven of New England I'm worried about transporting my kayak! I previously could borrow my daughter's car, but no longer will live with or near her. Have you found an solutions?

I finally bought an SUP last week because i was convinced I could have it stand up through the open top, but that was a miserable failure, so I returned the board :(. I'm in the same boat (ha) as you - my son, who has a station wagon, returns to Colorado this fall, so using his car is a temporary solution. I'm going to either have to keep renting, or get a different car, neither of which I'm happy about. I did see on another site how someone got a standard rack to work, but they had to adapt it and I got a few lines in on the instructions and thought "I'm out!" - no way I could do that...(I think a blow torch was involved?). Also, good luck on your move!

Hi Michelle, that is so frustrating. I was thinking/hoping/praying that I could carry my kayak in the main compartment of my car, but as you can see: Not gonna happen. I checked out Mick's Garage in Dublin Ireland. They claim to have a rack that fits, but no reviews. I'm going away for a few weeks but will order when I return. It's worth the try for $137. I'll let you know. Lynn

Here's the link. Let me know what your think https://www.micksgarage.com/ProductDetails.aspx? pid=7669835&modelid=8500

Can you see the photo?

Yes! Here is mine...what a dilemma...and yet I cannot part with my Fiat and the convertible top pretty much makes this car into a truck (or "clown car"!). Can't wait to hear if the rack works! I'm on my way to Chile and will return in two weeks so will check it out...send a pic if it does work!

Also, nice kayak!

Thanks - and yes - Love my convertible. Every day it makes me happy. And I'm on my way to Zambia, and then coming back to my new home in Newburyport Ma - up on the seacoast - everywhere you go, water water everywhere. Enjoy Chile! Lynn

Just saw the picture. That's hysterical. Kind of what I was thinking for my kayak - but nope. I'll let you know if Mick's Garage comes through for me. Lynn

Hi Michelle, I hope your trip to Chile went well. Hope you were doing something awesome like whitewater rafting or skiing. Well, I solved my problem, but not so much help for you. I not only have a problem with transporting my boat, but I also don't have storage! On my first day (yesterday) living in Newburyport, I discovered that kayaking here has to be a calculated event, because there are crazy big tides, and the rivers are tidal rivers. You have to time your outing with the tides, and unless you have timed to the change in tide, you will be left miles downriver from your car. One can't possibly paddle against the tide here! Anyway, I found a shop that is more about service than retail and profit. I became a "season pass holder". $375 for the year. They take care of everything. Planning the route, timing the route, provide the equipment, transport boats and people to launch site, pick up at debark site. Bring me back to my car at the shop. Solves all my problems: storage, transport, routes and tides, and best of all, people to yak with. This is not the place to boat alone! And they do full moon paddles and seal paddles in the fall. Plus one out to the Isle of Shoals which is supposed to be beautiful. I had been in touch with Mick's Garage by email. They were marginally helpful, reiterating the info you can get from the website that they have a rack that will fit your car. $147 with a 30 day return policy. I think it's worth the try, at least for local transport of your kayak and SUP. Try it and return if it doesn't work! I would be interested if you do. And for anyone who may be reading this thread, if you come to Newburyport MA, look up PLUMB ISLAND KAYAK for the best guided tours in this area!

Hello Lynn! I just got back from Chile today. Are you back from Zambia? How was your trip? Mine was wonderful...but I'm glad to be home. I'm so happy you figured out a solution to your problem! That makes a whole lot more sense. I wish there was an inexpensive solution to my "dilemma" ...ha. To rent an SUP in Laguna, it puts me back about $80...I would love to learn more about the rack you were going to get at Mick's garage. I've looked on their website, but I can't seem to locate my car! Do you have the direct link or the email and name of the person who you've been communicating with? My personal email is drmartinwrites@gmail.com if that's easier. Also if you ever get out to Laguna, check out La Veda Laguna - guided ocean kayaking...my son works there!

You ladies both rock! I'm a Salt life girl too. I am purchasing a Fiat convertible this weekend. I do have an SUV, but it's an Xterra, which is very high. I can not load the kayak on it by myself. My hopes was to get a nice low car that I can load my board or kayak without calling the teenager down the street. I fell in love with this little gem and now have to make it work. I'm checking out Micks as I type ;-).

Unfortunately, it's hard to determine if Mick's kayak will work. I even checked the reviews. Ughhh!

Well, I have somewhat of a solution bc, due to New England weather, and my new commute of 80 miles/day, I picked up a used Subaru Forrester. But best option would be for me to share that car with my brother (who lives 400 miles away from me) during non-winter months. He's going to work with me to try to find a rack for the Fiat. Someone who has a Prius with Thule racks believes that rack would work. So, all I can do is try, and if that is a Fail, I may go ahead and order from Mick's garage. That won't be until spring, so I'll keep you all posted. In the meantime, enjoy your time on the water. I am now waiting for the snow. Lynn