my 2012 chevy impala has this ticking noise behind the dash

Asked by Nov 16, 2015 at 02:43 AM about the 2012 Chevrolet Impala LS

im pretty sure it has something to do with the blower motor. there is thicking noise that comes on when i start the car,sometimes im not even near the car and its ticking right behind the dash any ideas

8,420

Remove it, inspect it, perhaps replace it or lubricate it. if theres foreign matter in there, remove that, test the part, decide what to do. it runs to keep breathable air in the passenger compartment. no matter how many times you ask this, the answer will be the same. I think this is the third time I have answered it. This means you need help from a technician, I suppose. Have you shown him yours?

160

this is a common problem with this car, the recirculator door also known as the air inlet door actuator has a position sensor in it that no longer reads accurately so when it gets to the open position it doesn't know it it is there and continues to run the motor until it times out, the only fix for this is a new air inlet door actuator,

8,420

Thanks for that experience with a 2012 model. Does this mean they ALL have electronic, automatic temperature and or blower control in the impala now? Otherwise they need to identify what climate system the car has, right?

160

All of these cars have electric door / valve motors /actuators regardless of the system type the vacuum systems or cable systems aren't used very often anymore

8,420

There was a question in the past about objectionable noise for impala................."clicking noise, with a/c on behind glovebox" .......it was asked july 21, 2011...................it leads to discussions about where they hear it, when, and they had it fixed........even heard when not operating. clicking up behind the glove compartment. It was a car gurus question.........it is found by clicking research, or googling objectionable noise, climate control, impala, 2012. My searches show a few systems available, and pics of a few types of control panels. Year, make, model, options, type of system in use. give those and improve your answers.........or google YMM and symptom, people have already done your homework for you. included pics, drawings, schematics. Your parts for your car can vary, not necessarily always ALL the same. that wastes time, money, trips, and parts that may or may not have restocking fee or be non returnable. that's your wallet's funeral, ask MR. Goodwrench if you want to call me kooky.

8,420

They gave erroneous names like "relay, mounted in rubber" and another was "activator" If they mean actuator, then they should specify what mode door its for. Temperature blend? or outside fresh air recirc door. This is why inspection of the blower area was recommended for the askers car, they can go by feel to determine which component is "clicking" is it a relay? is it a door actuator? Every car is not always ALL the same, now is it? Your tech can pull the glove compartment parts in a few minutes to verify the problem before , and get numbers off the old part for identification, we always had to. Or our back counter guy would make us go get them to look it up if it was not the local favorite.

8,420

website : (Press any key.simply a hobby.com).......... there are multiple causes possible or combinations, this site has pics and step by step including the diag and symptoms leading from first cause to the second.............happy reading. hope this REALLY helps.

140

My car is a 2008 Chevy Impala but mine was doing the same as described-clicking when recirculate was turned on. I found the problem is the rotating plastic shroud that covers the fan. If you go to this website and watch this video I'm betting your car has the same design: https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=1WVDitKwPdE. You have go under the hood to get to and remove the cabin air filter to see the shroud. The shroud wasn't closing all the way and so the fan was hitting it. I rotated it closed and it stopped clicking. I then did a series of recirculate and back to outside air. I could see the shroud rotated but didn't seem to want to close totally. I know this isn't the answer on how to fix it but at least it is what the problem is. I may try some oil or WD-40 on the pivot pins to see if it pivots correctly. If not, I'll probably have the dealer fix it. The only alternative is to never use the recirculate button.

140

pic with shroud open

It's definitely the a.c. actuators there is four of them that the vehicle has and most of the time you have to replace all of them. The plastic inside of the actuators go bad they are cheap Chinese made. You have to make sure you buy the ones made in Japan they last longer otherwise you will be replacing them in a year.