2012 Chevy Impala has a rattling noise

Asked by May 09, 2015 at 04:32 PM about the 2012 Chevrolet Impala LT

I just bought a 2012 Chevy Impala the other
day and I'm starting to notice this little
rattling noise when I start my car and also
when I'm accelerating. Someone told me it
could be the catalytic converter, but I'm not
losing any power at all. So, they said it
could be the heat shield that goes around
the converter.
If someone out there has went through this
problem or has any advice I'd greatly
appreciate it.
Thanks in advance!

This would depend on if it is coming from engine or not,if it is from engine,it may be bad lifter or valve rattle.

Well when I bought the car from the dealer he said it had something loose by the exhaust, but u know how car salesmen are, they tell u anything to get your money. But it sounds like to me the noise is coming from underneath the car.

If sound is not at engine,check the catilac converter or the pan that protects it,some times they will give a little rattle.

Best Answer

TST is right on, just let it cool down a while before you start wiggling things under the car. Cats get hot REAL hot

Good evening FN,

Yea that's what my uncle said who runs a mechanic shop. He said that if it's not losing power it's not the catalytic converter, it's probably the heat shield that goes around the converter. So, Monday I'm gonna go to his shop hook it up to diagnostic machine and then hopefully just lift it up and tighten the bolts that go on the converter cover. I'll repost and keep everyone updated. I love this forum, I'm sooo happy to have u guys in my life :)

No bolts on the catalytic heat shields, they are tack welded on/part of the convertor and rust off. So they will have to be re-tack welded if plenty of metal is left or some poeple just remove them or use a big hose clamp to secure in place.

So are u saying that the noise isn't coming from there? Or are u saying it is, but the fix won't be as easy as I thought?

We are having the same problem with our 2012 Impala. The dealer said it was just a cold start problem and there was a bulletin out. Our is noisy when accelerating up a hill. Sounds like a race car. Very disappointed in this car. They said they put a whole new exhaust system on but still making the same noise. Do not know where to turn anymore. We are heading back to the dealer again this week to see if they have any ideas.

#PI1138: Rattle/Noise from Front or Rear of Vehicle on Cold Start Up - (Dec 20, 2013) Subject: Rattle/Noise from Front or Rear of Vehicle on Cold Start Up Models: 2012-2013 Chevrolet Impala 2014 Chevrolet Impala Limited Condition/Concern Some customers may comment on a brief rattle or noise heard from the front or the rear of the vehicle on a cold start up. This may be caused by the “Y” pipe inner and outer components expanding at different rates resulting in the rattle/noise. Recommendation/Instructions This is a normal characteristic of the vehicle’s exhaust system and no repair(s) should be attempted for this concern. Customer Information Please communicate to the customer this condition is a normal operating characteristic of their vehicle. It will not impact the designed performance or reliability of the vehicle. Please share this information with the customer, including a copy of this message. For further information, please contact GM Technical Assistance Center (TAC) for assistance.

Did you ever find out what was rattling? Thanks

Its the same sound as i listed with that tsb. Its annoying but goes away and dealers will not fix it. Not sure if spending $1000 on a new exhaust will fix it or the problem will come back.