can;t get the glove box open in my 325i what can i do

5

Asked by winston112946 Jun 03, 2013 at 03:44 PM about the 1987 BMW 3 Series 325i Convertible RWD

glove box will not open whatt can i do

7,565

Hate to say it but that box was designed to prevent any one from getting into it as saftey if it is stuck then you will have to break the box and get a new one. Here a link about the issue. http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php? t=53749

250

Lots of unclear hints in other articles so here is the skinny on the 2004 325ci stuck glove box: 1) Key hole in the horizontal position: This locks the glove box regardless of unlocking and locking with the FOB. Think of this as lock ALWAYS! 2) Key hole in the vertical position: Unlocking the car with FOB will unlock the glove box. Locking the car with the FOB will lock the glove box. 3) To manually unlock the glove box with key: Insert the key and turn it slightly to the left (counter clockwise) about 15% left of vertical or until it feels like it stops. At this time you should be able to (with key still in it) and pull open the box. You do not need to lift the handle to open it since the inside spring will compress the teeth together that hold the box from falling down on its own. My glove box was stuck until I played with the different positions and used the FOB to lock/unlock the actuator mechanism (you can hear and feel the mechanism moving when you do this). This is good news (if you hear/feel this) because you will confirm that the actuator mechanism is working fine and its only a matter of playing with it to get it unstuck (In other words you do not need to spend money to replace it!). The trick to get my glove box open was (#3 above) putting the key in the slightly left of vertical position and gently working the handle up/down/sideways while pull down (don't use a lot of force otherwise you may break something.. Remember this is still a sensitive electro-mechanical device! and requires patience, not a forceful hand). Shazam, the glove box door finally came open! Lastly, once it opens, definitely take the other article(s) advice and tighten the 2 screws that hold the locking mechanism together on the glove box door. Use the key FOB and key, as I described above, to validate the different positions work as expected. Hope this helps! JC

50

Jim gave an answer for the 325ci that also worked for the 335i. Box had been stuck shut for months, never knew which way to turn the key and pulling on the latch did nothing. When turned to vertical then slightly left glove box fell open without a nudge. What a surprise after all the fighting I had done with it. Owners manual in box, so no help from that source.

10

Hurrah! it works. I finally opened my glove box

40

Thanks Jim. Absolutely correct The key only wants to turn clockwise; it feels like it has hit a stop if you try counter clockwise. Despite its protests (show the beast who is in charge), go ahead and turn the key slightly counter clockwise and the door will pop open without pulling on the handle.

10

Well, the steps above definitely did NOT work on my 2005 330 CI. I've tried at least 20 - 30 times (Just today alone) to use Jim's procedure and nothing, nada. Must have pushed the dang FOB a few dozen times while turning the key slightly to the left of vertical and finally just gave up! Sadly will now have to pay $$$ to have either a dealer or Independent work on it for me. Ugh... frustrated...

20

did work on bmw 330ci, 2004 …!!

20

inside the compartment there’s is tinny white lever (upper mid position) that turn clock/counterclockwise .. what’s it for …? any idea !?

on my 2004 330ci, it does not work either! I can turn the key left a full quarter turn and nothing happens. I do get a light click when I turn the key left center or right. However, the door will not open. I do here and feel the click when I use the FOB. Any other suggestions?

Just got my glovebox to open after more than a couple of years of reading, watching videos, and general frustration. 2006 330ci convertible. In short, I got lucky. The problem was that the connector was loose on the lock solenoid. When I pulled back the handle to attempt the instructions above, I realized I was seeing wires and a connector under the right side. On a whim, I pushed on the connector a bit with the screwdriver and then tried the key fob again. This time, I heard a click, and voila, it opened right up.